- Get an estimate: seems obvious, but you would be surprised. Get a written estimate from a qualified electrician: it shouldn’t cost you anything, and it should give you a better idea of the short-term financial impact for the long-term gain.
- Get a full lighting audit: this differs from an estimate in that it is more detailed, and drills down into exact power consumption and savings. There’s a formula, visuals and charts – it’s actually pretty neat!
- How do you pay for the upgrade?: Believe it or not, BC Hydro will often give you money back for upgrading your lighting to powersmart. And in some cases, if it is a major commercial/industrial retrofit, we can get costs down to a 0% capital expenditure output through a cool financing model. Contact us for details.
- Get the work done: Lighting upgrades are often a lot faster than installations – it can be as easy as changing out a ballast and lamp/fixture, and presto! You’re already saving money.
- Sit back and count all that money in your pocket: Once a lighting upgrade is complete, you will start to reap the benefits the minute you turn on a light switch. And you’ll see that year-over-year, any upgrade/installation costs quickly pay for themselves.
January 17, 2014